July 3, 2011

Fish Tacos and Quesadillas

Hope everyone is enjoying their 4th of July weekend! Today - unfortunately for me, was spent doing laundry... and LOADS of it. We have WAY too many clothes. I should have snapped a picture of the disaster before I got to work! Thank goodness there were some good movies on with some good lookin' actors... I watched Deja Vu with Denzel Washington, and then The Perfect Storm with George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, and the gorgeous Diane Lane.


Tonight when Scottie got home from work, he started working on learning some new songs (he is so great with his guitar), and I got to work in the kitchen!



After writing my first foodie post last night about the Stuffed Spaghetti Sqash, Scott said I should do a post tonight about my famous fish tacos! There's nothing crazy about how I make them -- they are just sooooo incredibly good and easy to make!

Blackened Lemon Pepper Tilapia Tacos and Quesadillas (wow is that a big enough title? lol!)

Below mostly will just be directions, as you can see I had a lot of ingredients on hand, so no choppin' veggies tonight for me!


Here are the ingredients I used: (fish-tilapia, seasoning-blackening & lemon pepper)


Ingredients:


2 tilapia fillets
2 tablespoons lemon pepper & blackening seasoning
1 can black beans
1 cup pico de gallo
1/2 cup mixed cheese
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 cup cole slaw (without the dressing of course)

I also made some herb rice and used a lemon to citrus it up!

Directions:

Heat skillet to medium and cook the seasoned tilapia on each side for 5 minutes. In a separate small pot, heat black beans on low. In another medium sized pot, heat to boiling and cook the rice as well.
It really didn't take but about 20 minutes to complete this meal. I placed the pico de gallo, sour cream, and a little salsa on the side to top on the tacos. Did I mention how amazing this salsa is?



A colleague of mine recently brought this to a fajita cook-out I went to a few weeks ago. There were so many veggies and spices in there, it was SO good. I've had a jar of it in my fridge ever since. :-)
Final product:


HOLY YUM!
There's never been a time where I've made these and they hadn't been a COMPLETE success. Scott gets so excited every time I cook them. Very light and summery!
After making his as you see above, I got creative and decided to try something new....




Blackened Tilapia Quesadillas? Say whaa? It was really the same concept. Still completely amazing with every bite! Scott even sang a little about 'em. :-P


Good food on a budget:
Tilapia Fillets: .80lbs for $4.14
HEB Fresh Wheat Tortillas: $2.29
Black Beans: $.69
Cole Slaw Kit (you want to get the kit-not premade): $2
Pico de Gallo: $3 (I like the hot and spicy, but they also carry mild, medium, and even mango salsa!).

Hope everyone's having a good night. Off to finish the night off with some family guy or a movie. I unfortunately have to work tomorrow, so it's gonna be an early night for me. Thanks for reading!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Fish taco's are amazing! Try them.