July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July!!

The Fourth of July happens to be one of my favorite holidays!  Except for when I have to work! (oomph!)

I woke up so slowly this morning, and got ready fast enough to make me a little "to-go" breakfast before I left.

(Notice the "Red" Strawberry Jelly, the "White" Cheese, and the "Blue" Letters? I'm a nerd. lol I attemped a patriotic breakfast!)

Julie, over at Peanut Butter Fingers, introduced me to "bagelwiches" several months ago, and I have had a pack of bagel-thins in my pantry ever since and a full pack of muenster cheese in the fridge! If you have never tried cheese and jelly together - you are missing out! I just throw the bagel thins in the oven with the cheese and set to broil for about 2-3 minutes! Easy as that ;)

Work was pretty slow today due to all of America being at the lake, with their families, bbq-ing at the park, watching fireworks, oh I could go on.... I couldn't wait until 8pm when I got off!

When lunch rolled around, I just had to be outdoors it was so pretty outside, so my girlfriend from work and I head over to Joe's Crab Shack for a little calamari and some sunshine!



It was so pretty outside I didn't want to leave! At least the rest of work rolled by and soon enough the clock read 8pm and I was out of there to enjoy the rest of my 4th!

As many of you Austinites know, we are banned from doing fireworks because of our drought. This was a huge bummer, and I didn't feel like traveling after 8pm to try and catch fireworks in a more northern county, so Scott and I decided to stay home and celebrate.

I brought home my FAVORITE tequila, called Camarena.  It is so smoothe, I made some margaritas. I had so many leftover ingredients from last nights dinner, that I made a similar meal tonight.

Stuffed Green Peppers


These were fun to make and didn't take long. As you can tell most ingredients are from last nights dinner, my blackened fish tacos, which you can see here. 

Ingredients:

2 green peppers
1 lb ground turkey
1 pack of low sodium taco seasoning
1 cup cheese
1/2 can black beans (you can use the other half as a side if you want)
1 cup pico de gallo
1 tablespoon sour cream
1/2 cup cole slaw (without the sauce!)

Directions:

First, you want to heat the skillet to medium-high, and brown the meat. As the meat is cooking, break out the cutting board and cut off the tops of the green peppers, and clear out the insides.


While waiting on the meat to be done, I also put some leftover wheat tortillas on the stove to get them all heated up incase the pepper wasn't filling enough or just to have on the side.


In each pepper, I filled them with pico de gallo and black beans. I then put the meat in there once it was cooked and topped with sour cream and cheese.



I put these babies in the oven (on broil) for about 3-4 minutes until the cheese was completely melted.



They were cheesy, meaty, and READY! I also made a plate for Scott with a taco topped with the cole slaw, black beans, pico, and cheese!


I enjoyed every single bite! I had a fork, but I'll admit I ate every bite with my hands so I could get every bite with the green pepper! It was absolutely delicious and I will definitely make it again in the near future!

goes perfect with a margarita! ;)
Dinner and Madden. Perfect way to celebrate watchin' my boo beat some online gamer at football. Got to get to bed early, got a doctors appointment in the morning, and then work! Have a fun, safe, and delicious 4th of July!!

1 comment:

Scott Owens said...

I love that you decided to make this blog, Because I enjoy the blog and the food and NONE of the work. ; ) Love you