October 27, 2011

Guest Post: Heather from Finding Beauty in the Ordinary

Today, Heather, from Finding Beauty in the Ordinary, will be guest posting for me as I'm headed to Baton Rouge, Louisiana for a week! I've grown really close to Heather and she is just so amazing, honest, and so sweet! Please give her a warm welcome and enjoy!! Love y'all! :-) *and thank you Heather for this awesome post!* 
Show her some love!

*******************************************************
 Hi! My name is Heather and I blog over at Finding Beauty in the Ordinary.
I'm a 26 year old, happily married, adventure seeking blog lover :) My
little blog is a place to share what's on my heart, what God is
teaching me, and what my husband and I are up to as we have recently
relocated to a new city for his new job.  I love capturing a moment by
camera and simply finding beauty in the ordinary moment of life. 



The past couple of months, I've started blogging actively, using social media, and have been trying to keep up with it all. Most days, I feel like I'm drowning in information. I get burnt out easily and often feel completely drained from technology! There are days where I feel like I go to bed with my laptop and wake up with it. Oh, and how can I forget my iPhone? That thing is my own personal little companion. I'm addicted.

Have you seen this video before?

 

Some of my favorites points for staying creative were these:
  • Carry a notebook everywhere
  • Get away from the computer
  • Take breaks
  • Go somewhere new
  • Get lots of rest
  • Stop trying to be someone else's perfect

Wowzers! Ummm... I need to watch this again. How often do I take a true break from technology? As in, literally LEAVE the computer, the phone, the emails... and get away? Whether that's going on a long drive somewhere beautiful, or sitting on the beach near the ocean, hiking to the highest peak of a mountain, or going on an evening walk? Or simply doing the mundane things of life like doing the dishes and folding laundry without being interrupted constantly by the ding of the iPhone notifying me of emails?  When was the last time I gave my husband my 100% attention? Not just the "Oh yeah, really, babe? What happened at work today?" question while I'm skimming through my BlogLovin' feed and diverting my attention elsewhere. I'm guilty.

God has blessed us with so much beauty around us. Let's get out there and enjoy it. There's a time and a place for everything, including our blog, email and technology time. Don't get me wrong, I love it all :) But when it all comes down to it, people are the most important things in life... let's invest in them,  and really be with them when we're with them. And take breaks from technology consistently, using our creative talents for His glory, and really live.

4 comments:

Ruthie Hart said...

Heather I saw that video on another blog and I was literally writing down notes trying to soak it all in. I get so wrapped up in blogs, twitter and FB that sometimes I realize I am ignoring my family and the beautiful world around me. I am unplugging this weekend while the hubby and I go to the lake...much needed! Love ya girlie!

Natalie @ NS Pottery said...

LOVE that video! I so know what you mean about feeling drained!! I was just thinking about this yesterday how I can only read so many blog posts and so much information online before I feel like I need to GET AWAY! There comes a point in time when I have to tell myself to STOP because I'm drowning in "inspiration" that it zaps me. Not good!

jessi bridges said...

Great reminder Heather! I actually fasted from all internet on Tuesday and as much as I was dreading it, it ended up being so refreshing! I came back, not taking online myself so seriously. I was able to spend time doing more important things (imagine that!) Thanks for this :)

Heather @ Finding Beauty in the Ordinary said...

aww thank you ladies!! and thank you, sweet amanda, for having me-- such an honor! love you all xoxoxo