October 20, 2011

Homemade Philly's

Last night, I had a mission. Scott's dad was planning on joining us for dinner and he and Scott were going to watch the first game of the World Series. My mission was to clean up our house and make it just a little more home-y, and also to cook a delicious meal for both of them.

We finally got our dining room table set up, and I found some great table placemats and centerpiece at Ross. What do you think?!


Look at these cute mini-pumpkin decorations I used to make a centerpiece. The bowl it is in is actually a witch bowl! It's plain black which I like so it's not too busy, but on the clear part at the bottom there's a little black witch!


I know it's silly, but I am so proud of our little dining room! In all the apartments I've lived in, I've always had barstools at the counter or nothing at all and just used that space for storage or a desk. So I was super excited to have our first little family dinner :-) call me a dork. Hehe oh by the way, look at the picture below. I want to do curtains but I've never done it before, what color do you think of curtains I should do with this????


Since I get off at 4pm and Scott doesn't get off until 9pm, I had plenty of time to get to cookin'. I got some new fun supplies to make Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies which I made last week and you can find the recipe [here].


Unfortunately, Scott's dad ended up not coming because he was really tired, so I was kind of bummed out that I wanted to have a "little family dinner" and had decorated the place up for him. Scott had the sweetest thing to say/text when I expressed that:


I KNOW- I have an ancient blackberry. Let's just focus on the sweet stuff ;-) lol

Ok, now onto the good stuff! This meal takes less than 30 minutes to cook, and is incredibly flavorful and I promise you - your man will thaaaank you for such a hearty filling meaty entree!
Homemade Philly Cheesesteak


Ingredients:
1-1.5lb Boneless Thin Ribeye Steak
1 Large Bell Pepper
1 Medium Onion
(Mushrooms - ew! But yes a lot of people love mushrooms on their philly)
1 Whole Grain Hoagie Roll
5 Slices of Provolone Cheese

Directions:
1. Slice Ribeye into tiny slivers. Now, at your local grocery, the meat-guys are usually super nice and will do it for you if you take them the meat. That's what I did! Saves so much time doesn't cost you any more, and they do it perfectly!
2. On a cutting board, slice your onion and bell pepper into small pieces, I made mine about a half inch long. Preheat oven to broil.
3. Preheat skillet to medium high and spray with non stick spray.  Place meat (seasoned or unseasoned - either way the flavor comes from onions, peppers, and cheese just fine!) and vegetables, and let
cook for a few minutes until all meat is browned and smellin' great!

4. Take two hoagie rolls, place on baking sheet and cut the slices of provolone cheese in half to split up among the rolls (kind of like they do it at subway).

5. Broil the hoagie roll until cheese is melted.

6. Place a few cut up slices of the provolone cheese and place on top of the meat and veggies in the skillet. Once melted, go ahead and start filling the hoagie rolls with this delicious combination.

7. Enjoy with Chips, Fries, or in my case - Roasted Cauliflower :-) I also served these with an Au Jus dip. I will be honest and say it was sooo not homemade. Got the easy $1 packet to make the sauce. I didn't use much on mine at all, but Scott said it was a GREAT dip for the sandwich.










When Scottie got home, he was so excited to see all these homey seasonal decorations, the house smelled like pumpkin spice, and Huxley was all cuddled up on the couch with me waiting :-). We enjoyed this yummy dinner, cuddled up on the couch for a bit and watched the Rangers play.


He also brought me a little surprise!! If you know me, you know I have an addiction to popcorn. I have to buy it at the movie theatre, and I always keep popcorn at the house for when I have my cravings. Hehe!!



I'm really excited to try the sour cream and onion! Since dinner was kind of heavier than usual, I haven't tried any yet -- BUT, you bet I'll be snackin' on some today!


YUM! Huxley was definitely wantin' some of this jazz. He loves popcorn!


Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying their Thursday morning! Tomorrow is Friday!!

7 comments:

Alana said...

What a sweet text! I love that you saved his number as Scottie Poo. haha

Ruthie Hart said...

I love love love your dining room table. I like how there is storage under the table, that is awesome!! I have found cheap curtain panels at TJ Maxx and Marshalls because they can get expensive. Also, Pier 1 (but more pricey). I used cauliflower in a recipe a couple weeks ago (mac n cheese) and Jon said he wanted to eat it more, I just keep forgetting!! Your roasted cauli looks so good!

Unknown said...

Love how you decorated :) I agree with Ruthie, that cauliflower looks yummy! And I've never heard of sour cream and onion popcorn, sounds so good!

Leah said...

Curtain colors...hmm. I like how you used red for the placemats, and then of course orange for your centerpieces. I'm always biased towards those colors! Cute!

ashley marie wilson said...

i love how everything you cook is normal and easy. i can handle the recipes LOL. yaaaay for how having a cozy and inviting dining room... my sista is quite the homemaker ;)

Hall Around Texas said...

New follower! Found you on Ruthie's blog :)

Candace Shiflet said...

that looks soooooooo gooooooodddd! and that pumpkin centerpiece is lovely!!
Lovely Little Rants